– Gavin Hainsworth, author of Secretary, Federation Of British Columbia Writers
Sylvia Taylor is an award-winning freelance writer, editor, educator, and communications specialist in Metro Vancouver, with a passionate commitment to communication.
From conference keynotes to literary coaching, book editing to business websites, ghostwriting to LifeStories, Sylvia offers writing-related expertise “Taylored” to every literary need and purpose.
Whether supporting others in their self-expression, collaborating in commissioned work or creating insightful commentary and reportage, Sylvia draws from her professional background in education, administration, healthcare, and creative arts.
With 400 magazine and newspaper articles in print and 75 commercial and business writing projects, she consults with a diverse range of entrepreneurs, organizations, and businesses. She has edited over 100 manuscripts in all genres and works extensively with Canadian and international authors through all stages and phases of writing and publishing.
Sylvia is the former Executive Director of the Federation of BC Writers, after eight years as a Regional Director and two years as President. She is also an inspiring public speaker and presenter at conferences and in writing programs and judges numerous writing competitions.
Her creative writing has appeared in anthologies and genre magazines in Canada and the U.S, and was shortlisted for the CBC National Literary Awards in creative non-fiction. Her devotion to wellness and the arts led to a nomination for the Women of Excellence Awards. She is co-creator and coordinator of “Surrey Stories: A Celebration of the Spoken Word”, a monthly writer/speaker series in conjunction with the City of Surrey Libraries.
Her upcoming literary memoir, The Fisher Queen, was launched by Heritage House publishing September 1, 2012.
- 13 years as Executive Director and board head of the Federation of British Columbia Writers – largest provincial writers’ organization in Canada
- Consultant and trainer with Surrey literacy and heritage LifeStory programs
- Consultant and trainer with the Quebec Writers Federation and English Language
- Arts Network in Montreal
- Over 400 newspaper and magazine articles in print
- Co-founder and principle writer for a community and business-based monthly publication since 2006
- Literary memoir and expose of the BC commercial salmon industry, The Fisher
Queen, to be published by Heritage House Publishing Group in Summer, 2012
- Over 120 readings of published works, in person and on radio
- Excerpt from The Fisher Queen in final shortlist for 2010 national CBC Literary awards – Non-fiction category
- Over 100 book manuscripts edited
- 70% of book manuscripts now in print
- 3 books edited were #1 Amazon best sellers in past year Literary Judge
- Judged over 60 writing competitions (essays, short stories, books) in Canada/USA
- One of 5 national judges for a Canadian book contract competition
- One of 3 national judges for a Canadian book award
- Consulted, edited, created content (websites, bios, profiles, operating manuals, press releases, promo materials, newsletters, etc) for a broad spectrum of over 50 international businesses, organizations, and entrepreneurs.
- Created over 100 business-related written projects
- Writing and communications-related courses and workshops in writing programs and conferences throughout Canada and USA
- Keynote addresses in writing conferences
- Presented and consulted in over 40 writing conferences in Canada & USA
- Created 8 workshops and 2 semester-length courses with support materials for writing-related pro development